There are nearly 40,000 children in the New Jersey foster care system. Many have suffered the effects of neglect, poverty and even abuse. Studies show that for many foster children, the challenges are just beginning.
- Each year, over 10,000 New Jersey children enter foster care.
- The majority of foster children have at least one chronic medical condition.
- Foster children experience 4 times the emotional problems as their peers.
- Foster children average three different placements, and nearly half do not return to live with their biological families.
- Foster kids repeat a grade twice as often as other students.
- They score 15-20 percent below other kids on statewide tests.
- 37% of foster youth drop out of high school, compared to 16% of the general population.
- At age 18, 61% have no job experience and 1/3 end up on welfare.
- Within 18 months of aging out of the system, up to 50% of foster youth become homeless.
But it doesn’t have to be that way. Fun for Fosters has joined forces with specific and targeted foster charity organizations and the community to help New Jersey’s foster children. With your help, we can provide foster kids with the little things that can make a big difference. Things like school supplies and soccer shoes, or even something as basic as a present during the holidays, a warm coat, or clothes. With your support we strive to help foster children beat the odds.